In my Advanced Journalism Reporting class, each student was assigned a specific "beat" or story topic that we're responsible for reporting on for the remainder of the Fall semester. Our professor asked us to explain why our beat was worthy enough for a story.
I believe "Sexualities and More" is a universal topic that makes a great beat because it pertains to every individual. It's an intriguing topic that, despite some stigmatism that may be attached, is extremely heated and provocative: two characteristics, I believe, that make up a great news story. Nowadays, sex can be associated with anything from politics to religious values, technology, desires, or education. For me, this topic is absolutely necessary to discuss because it's not always a comfortable one. Many people often choose to repress their thoughts on sexuality, especially when it comes to their own sexuality, and this in itself makes sex a controversial subject. Because USF is a traditional Jesuit university, we already know that sex and the like are matters that the church looks down upon. Still, it's a college campus, and students are engaging in sexual intercourse.
For me, personally, this is a topic I'm very passionate about. The beat ultimately deals with human rights issues, specifically gender and sexuality equality, which I've covered in the past. Last year, I did two pieces that fit this criteria; one, on USF's birth control policy, and another on The Walk Against Rape in the city. In this way, I've already established contacts I can go to as sources for my upcoming stories. Some of these contacts include: Father Stephen Privett, organizers of the Walk Against Rape, the clinic, women rights and gender sexualities professors, students on campus, Planned Parenthood employees, etc.
I've already compiled a list of potential story ideas for the upcoming semester. Some examples of these include:
- Student mothers on campus
- Prop 8: ban on gay marriage
- Howard Stern's recent promotion of a girl auctioning off her virginity to pay off her college tuition
- USF's over-night guest policy
- Male students' points of view on dating and relationships
- Long distance relationships
- Relationships between USF employees and students
- Update on virginity pledges
- A sex "workshop" or club in the city
I'm really looking forward to uncovering each of these potential story ideas and digging deep to get the goods on sex in this city. I have this feeling there will be a lot to talk about and hopefully without any reservations.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment